Website Adaptive Adventures Midwest Ski and Ride Program
Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator
The Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator is a valued position within Adaptive Adventures program team. The Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator assists with the planning, implementation and execution of adaptive sports programs including but not limited to: cycling, climbing, kayaking, paddleboarding, dragon boat racing waterskiing and skiing. The Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator plays an important role in maintaining Adaptive Adventures positive, empowering and inclusive culture. This position reports to the Adaptive Sports Lead and Program Manager. Adaptive Adventures is currently seeking to add the Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator to our team in Schaumburg, Illinois. The Adaptive Ski and Sports Coordinator will assist and lead ongoing programs in Illinois, as well as, travel to serve other areas of the country. This position cannot be executed remotely and individuals should expect a varied schedule as consistent with recreation programs including evenings and occasional weekends.
Ski Specific Responsibilities:
- Manage all training and on snow aspects of the Midwest Ski and Ride program
- Schedule and facilitate pre/post-season program meetings
- Provide guidance and instruction that exemplifies a cooperative team approach
- Coordinate, plan and supervise a program schedule and volunteer instructors that ensure a safe skier ratio, taking into consideration the participants’ skills and abilities
- Ensure that volunteer instructors understand duties and expectations of the program, to ensure a safe and fun experience for all.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Program Training and Instruction
• Coordinate on-snow training schedules collaborating with:
- – The Program Director and Adaptive Sports Lead in regard to the program budget
- – PSIA adaptive chair for the Central division in regards for instructors, schedules and education
- – Wilmot Mountain in regard to availability for on-snow training and facility training space
- – With the input from a core instructor group, develop a pre-season instructor training schedule that promotes safety, efficiency, high-quality, disability focused training for all volunteer instructors
- – Provide ongoing training, as needed, to volunteer instructors
- – Provide hands on ski instruction, using individualized goals and record progress
- – Create, administer follow-up summaries and survey’s to: participants, parents/caregivers, volunteers, and program facility hosts. Results should be able to be used to assess planning, revisions and enhancements to the program
General Responsibilities Include the Following: Program Planning and Operations
- Collaborates with the Program Director and fellow Adaptive Sports Coordinators on establishing program specific goals and objectives; including identifying, developing and implementing program opportunities in cycling, climbing, kayaking paddleboarding, dragon boat racing, waterskiing and skiing.
- Works with the Program Director to determine necessary resources; including program supplies, venue, participant marketing and volunteers.
- Implements Adaptive Adventures program delivery procedures at all events as detailed in the pre-event, event delivery and post-event procedures.
- Assists in identifying and cultivating volunteers to successfully meet needs of the program.
- Assists in provision of appropriate training to all program volunteers and interns.
- Ensures programs are delivered effectively to all participants.
- Assists the Program Director in program planning process including calendar postings, volunteer recruitment, equipment loading, participant recruitment, communication with partner staff and venue set up.
- Assists the Program Director and Adaptive Sports Coordinators in program delivery including registration, risk management and safety, volunteer management, adaptive sport delivery and venue tear down.
- Assists the Program Director and Adaptive Sports Coordinators in post-event duties including storage and unloading of equipment, data entry, reporting and follow up with participants, volunteers and other community members as necessary.
- Implements appropriate safety and risk management protocols as related to specific program.
- Ensures all essential program equipment is available and in good working order for events. This includes securing additional equipment when necessary, maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Assists in actively recruiting participants for programs utilizing all of the resources available, human and technological, to maximize event participation.
- Provides direct client services, support and instruction in all programs as needed.
- Works cohesively with the Adaptive Adventures Team to contribute to a dynamic work environment and exceptional program delivery.
- Follows policies and procedures as defined by Adaptive Adventures manuals.
- Reports concerns and issues directly to supervisor.
- Engages in all other duties as assigned.
- Ideal candidates may have experience in one or more of the following: adaptive sports, therapeutic recreation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, exercise and/or sports science or physical medicine and rehab.
- Prior knowledge and experience in adaptive sports preferred but not required.
- A personal passion for outdoor recreation! Skills and experience in cycling, climbing, paddling and/or skiing preferred.
- Seeking a high-energy leader and engaging individual.
- Willingness to perform manual labor loading and unloading trailers in hot weather conditions.
- Strong organizational, management and leadership skills with the ability to prioritize projects enhancing work flow using independent judgment in making decisions that affect day to day operations of Adaptive Adventures.
- Has the ability to work with a variety of different people including potential sponsors, event managers, volunteers, participants with special needs, Board of Directors and program staff.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.Working Conditions
- Environment: The position requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.o Inside conditions are consistent with office related responsibilitieso Outside conditions are consistent to outdoor adaptive recreation programming
- Physical: The position requires the employee to be able to bend, twist and attimes lift a minimum of 100lbs.
organization as well as indoor storage of program supplies and equipment o Outsidephysicalrequirementsareconsistentwithoutdooradaptive
recreation programming and potential assistance of participant transfers
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required of personnel so classified.
Salary range: $50,000
Additional benefits include: a generous and flexible time-off policy, a 401k with company match, health insurance with options for dental and vision, a monthly cell phone stipend, paid professional education and related travel expenses, paid certifications and professional fees.
Please send resume and cover letter to . In your cover letter, please include a description of outdoor recreation you participate in, if you have experience working with individuals with physical disabilities and your favorite adventure and why.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org