Website Achieve Tahoe
Adaptive Snowsports Instructor
Achieve Tahoe, a non-profit which leads the way in providing adaptive sports and outdoor recreation for people with disabilities and their families, seeks a dynamic individual to join the program team in the part-time, seasonal position of Adaptive Snowsports Instructor.
About the Organization
Founded in 1967, Achieve Tahoe remains dedicated to the belief that sports are a vital part of the process in which individuals with disabilities build health, confidence, and independence.
Achieve Tahoe serves over 650 individuals annually at multiple resorts in the Truckee-Tahoe area. Our team of committed and experienced professionals leads over 250 active and dedicated volunteers in delivering year-round adaptive sports programs.
About the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, Snowsports Instructors deliver quality snowsports lessons for people with disabilities at Palisades Tahoe, Northstar and Sugarbowl resorts.
Primary duties include:
- Establish rapport with participants.
- Assess participant capabilities and set participant-centered goals.
- Select safe and appropriate equipment and teaching terrain.
- Constructively incorporate secondary instructors and participant’s family members.
- Write daily progress notes on each lesson.
- Work with supervisor, fellow instructors, volunteers and other team members to create and maintain the best possible environment for participants to succeed.
- Represent Achieve Tahoe in a positive and professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Requirements for the Adaptive Snowsports Instructor include High School graduate, or equivalent; at least one year of experience teaching adaptive snowsports or equivalent experience.
The ideal Adaptive Snowsports Instructor will have experience delivering a variety of adaptive snowsports lessons to individuals with diverse backgrounds and abilities. They will possess a college degree in a related field and Adaptive Alpine Level 1, and/or Alpine Level 1 certification from PSIA-AASI.
The ideal Adaptive Snowsports Instructor will have the knowledge, skill and ability to:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of adaptive instructional techniques and equipment and
ability to teach same.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of disabilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of PSIA methods and techniques.
- Dki at PSIA level 1 Alpine equivalent.
- Safely and repeatedly lift mono- and bi-skiers, and to transfer students to and from adaptive equipment, or to instruct a lesson assistant in same.
- Work outdoors under cold, winter, mountain conditions.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, students, and the general public.
- Demonstrate a willingness and passion for growing the organization, excellent team skills,
personal initiative, and a strong work ethic.
Compensation includes a Palisades Tahoe season pass and competitive hourly rate commensurate
with education and experience.
Employment period is seasonal starting December 2022 through April 2023.
Position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.
Achieve Tahoe is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to Michael@AchieveTahoe.org