Website National Sports Center for the Disabled
Climbing/Mountain Biking Program Coordinator – Denver Programs
About the NSCD
We are Colorado’s most comprehensive provider of adaptive outdoor experiences. We offer more programs, in more places, in more ways that change lives. The National Sports Center for the Disabled is a leading provider of adaptive outdoor recreation experiences committed to helping individuals with disabilities, their caregivers and the broader community rethink ability. Through the power of adaptive innovation, recreation and Colorado’s great outdoors, we are transforming lives, families and communities and creating a world that celebrates each person’s abilities.
Our exhilarating adaptive outdoor experiences help participants make the very most of their passion, their talents and their aspirations. They discover a renewed sense of confidence, reignite the pure joy of play, and find motivation to try new things, meet new people and believe in their own abilities. With industry-leading adaptive equipment, renowned coaches, instructors and volunteers, and unmatched mountain and metro programs, we change the perceptions of athletes of all levels and help them, and the world, #RethinkAbility.
The Program Coordinator coordinates operations associated with the NSCD weekly and custom group programs. The Program Coordinator provides direct client services instruction.
The job duties of this position are performed personally, in cooperation with your supervisor, and/or in coordination with other staff. Additional work functions and duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates and instructs programs on a daily basis in all programs offered in Denver Programs with a focus on indoor/outdoor rock climbing and mountain biking. Other program areas include water sports, shooting sports, NSCD Moves obstacle course, action sports, ability clinics, camps, and more.
- Sets and maintains outdoor venues for safe recreational programs for all Denver program activities.
- Acts as agency liaison to coordinate group program needs.
- Oversees weekly and/or custom group programs, including scheduling, volunteer coordination and participant support.
- Prepares and coordinates all equipment needed based on activity and participants in advance of each program and ensures equipment is in safe, working condition and/or coordinates with the Equipment and Facilities department to conduct repairs as needed.
- Ensures awareness and completion of group program participant assessments, evaluations and recommendations.
- Maintains participant records, group accounting, and reports statistics for groups through the client data and reservations management system.
- Plans and coordinates special events for assigned programs.
- Keeps volunteer attendance, reviews volunteer performance, and makes recommendations for continued volunteer participation.
- Performs student assessments and plans lessons according to adaptive sports and therapeutic recreation concepts.
- Selects appropriate teaching system and equipment and sets goals and plans lesson according to therapeutic recreation concepts.
- Instructs individual or group lessons using appropriate teaching progressions and exercises.
- Documents student progress, maintains accurate records, and makes recommendations for future lessons.
- Supports overnight camping trips and multi-day camps as needed.
- Attends all required NSCD training sessions and meets standards to pass training.
- Assists with NSCD volunteer services and special events.
- Consistently follows safety procedures and utilizes appropriate safety equipment.
- Creates and maintains a friendly, congenial and helpful attitude while effectively dealing with guests and other employees.
- Adhere to all Personnel Policies and Procedures for the Agency.
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times; act as a role model both at and away from the Agency.
- Maintain a creative, team-building approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem solving orientation to all tasks.
- Performs all tasks and responsibilities with attention to detail and in a complete and timely manner, complying with Agency policies and standards and conforming to the scheduling requirements of the job and program.
- Maintain an awareness of the Agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the Agency for the care and welfare of the clients.
- Acts with honesty and integrity in all aspects of Agency business.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Actively strive to create and maintain a culturally sensitive environment through communication and interaction that demonstrates respect for diversity, socio-economic and cultural differences.
Other duties may be assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. College degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Special Education, or related field preferred.
- Current CPR and Advanced First Aid required within a month of job offer required.
- Advanced ability in outdoor sports appropriate to NSCD required.
- Certifications in Rock climbing and Mountain Biking attainable within 90 days of hire: AMGA SPI or above, and BICP MTB Level 1 or above required.
- Two years experience outdoor climbing required.
- Two years experience mountain biking required.
- Certifications in outdoor sport appropriate to the NSCD; preferred:, ACA Instructor, Swift Water Rescue, Raft Guide Trip Leader, Two-years’ experience in adaptive sports instruction preferred.
- Two-years’ experience working with individuals with disabilities preferred.
- Two years’ experience working in outdoor recreation field preferred.
- Must be computer proficient and possess experience of Microsoft Office Suite and able to learn new software as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to implement Agency vision, mission, values, and strategic plan.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to assess and change priorities based upon agency needs.
- Strategic thinker who communicates professionally and effectively with diverse staff, volunteers, donors, prospects, and community stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain consistent exercise of discretion and confidentiality in the performance of duties.
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy, initiative, and exercise personal judgment in a fast-paced environment with a strong sense of humor and integrity.
- Candidates must possess a Colorado driver’s license, meet background check criteria and meet criteria regarding clearance to drive company vehicles including 15 passenger vans and vehicles with large towing capacity, , surface and aerial lifts, as required by specific job duties.
This is a full time, year-round position. The work varies based on seasonal programming needs. This position will require weekends and/or evenings supporting the programming needs of the agency.
The salary range for this position is $21.00 – $22.50 per hour. Actual salaries may vary and may be above the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, credentials, and performance.
NSCD provides a comprehensive benefits plan including employer sponsored medical and dental benefits, employer paid life insurance and disability benefits, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays and employees may participate in the 403b retirement plan. Benefit eligibility varies depending on your employment status and the number of hours you are regularly scheduled to work.
- Able to work a majority of the time outside at high altitude in varying conditions including uneven and slick terrain and unpredictable weather and situations.
- Physically able to assist participants with adaptive recreation equipment, position adjustments, transfers, and movement during activities.
- Able to lift a minimum of 75 lbs. with assistance.
- Dexterity, auditory and visual acuity to operate computers and phones or mobile devices.
- Auditory and visual acuity to interact with guests, students, clients on a daily basis
- Able to successfully manage multiple, high priority tasks in a fast-paced and often times crowded and noisy environment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org