Website Whitefish Mountain Resort
Title: Director of Snow Sports and Summer Activites
Department: Snow Sports Center, Zip Lines, AAP, Summer Tubing and Bike School
Level: Full Time Year Round
Effective Date: December 2018
Oversee all aspects of operation for the Snow Sports and Summer Activities departments. Be fully responsible for the departments’ operations and financial performance. To achieve maximum productivity and profitability, product quality and customer service; and to ultimately meet corporate objectives and standards. Snow Sports includes the Ski & Snowboard School, Freestyle Team & Kids Center. Summer Activities includes Zip Lines, Aerial Adventure Park, Summer Tubing and Bike Schoolo. The administrative offices and instructor locker area are located on the second floor (slope level) of the Skier Services building, near the Base Lodge.
Reports to: President/CEO
Employees supervised: Snow Sports Management, Payroll Admin, Coaches, Instructors, Childcare Providers, Summer Activites Managers, Guides, Attendants, Operators, and Coaches
Job Skill Specifications
- College degree preferred, high school education minimum.
- PSIA/AASI Level III required, Divisional Clinic Leader preferred. Previous ski resort experience required. Familiarity with ski industry (regional and national) and tourism/hospitality industry preferred.
- Development and management of Summer Activites preferred.
- Staff management experience required, to include working knowledge of proper interviewing, hiring and terminating procedures; and experience with employee training, performance appraisal, and disciplinary counseling.
- Computer experience required, specifically, working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing and database management. (Microsoft Word, Excel) Desktop publishing & RTP experience preferred.
- Experience with hand power tools preferred.
- Basic rope skills, cabeling, basic rigging, harness and fall arrest equipment preferred.
- CPR/AED/WFR/OEC or comperable experience preferred.
- Must be an advocate of — and example of — exceptional customer service.
- Must maintain a high level of discretion, as we handle much sensitive, confidential information.
- Must possess a positive attitude and be a positive role model. Must take pride and ownership of the products, services and in the growth of the group. Must be proactive in removing barriers to effective communication, customer service and operations.
- Written and strong verbal communication skills required; ability to develop effective working relationships with staff, co-workers and management. Must be able to prioritize tasks and delegate to others in order to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to function effectively during times of high stress and high business demands while dealing courteously and effectively with customers and staff.
- Working knowledge and understanding of general accounting terminology and procedures required, as well as experience with the financial aspects of operations, including business and financial analysis.
- Strong leadership skills required, including ability to lead, supervise, train and motivate subordinates; to build trust and strong sense of teamwork and commitment among team members.
- Acceptable information regarding criminal history background. (Post offer – Pre hire).
- Must be a peer leader whose opinions carry weight at all levels of the Company.
- Ability to work within framework of standard policies and procedures.
- Per WSI Vehicle Insurance standards: must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to be added to WSI’s vehicle insurance policy.
- Subject to WSI’s Alcohol and Controlled Substance Abuse Policy based on the nature of the position and related duties.
- Oversee all operations of the Snow Sport Center and Summer Activities. Ensure that customer satisfaction and employee morale are at a maximum.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate management of these areas and other staff as needed. Responsbile for accurately and completely filling out personnel paperwork for employees supervised
- Maintain good relationship with PSIA/AASI; keep the school well-connected with PSIA division, attend divisional & regional training as a participant and/or trainer as requested/expected from PSIA.
- Coordinate annual inspections of Summer Activities per industry standards and/or recommendations. This will include both General Liability and Worker’s Compensation Inspectors.
- Work alongside Activities Management and Staff during set up and take down in addition to on-going maintenace projects.
- Work closely with trainers to ensure training needs of our staff and affliates are being met; to deliver high quality consistent programming, adhere to high safety standards, and satisfy interests of our staff and guests.
- Oversee performance of all administrative duties required to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Hold regular meetings for Snow Sports and Summer Activities Managment and staff to ensure high level of company-wide communication.
- Participate in WSI staff meetings, senior managers meetings, and other functions as required –Senior Manager on Duty.
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate chair lift as needed to assist with summer and winter operations.
- Work with Marketing to develop promotional plans and collateral for all departments.
- Prepare operating budgets; adhere to budgets to reach financial goals.
- Prepare capital expenditure proposals.
- Conduct timely evaluations of all business segments and programs; oversee development of new programs and business opportunities.
- Monitor customer feedback designed to measure satisfaction. Deal promptly and effectively with customer problems or complaints.
- Oversee the Resort’s relationships and contracts with local ski/snowboard organizations and their programs; maintain a positive working relationship with these groups.
- Oversee the Resort’s “School Group” program including advanced sales/marketing, booking, coordinating on-mountain visit, accounting, etc.
- Participate as an active member of the Guest Services Department management team with rental, retail, events, food and beverage, tickets and information center departments – to coordinate effective cooperative programs and packages and to further improve mountain-wide cross-selling and customer service efforts; to improve Company effectiveness, profitability and customer/employee satisfaction.
- Work closely with WSI’s Accounting Office on record keeping for purchasing, payroll, and sales.
- Work with WSI’s HR department for support in hiring, firing, terminating and personnel policies and procedures.
- Work with WSI’s Marketing & Sales on promotions, advertising and group sales functions.
- Work closely with, and maintain good working relationships with, ski operations staff (lift department, ski patrol, events department, etc.) to ensure exceptional experiences for guests.
- Maintain the highest possible level of safety and cleanliness in departmental facilities; responding to building maintenance needs promptly.
- Adhere to and support all the information within the WSI Employee Handbook and Instructor Manual.
- Ability to lift items weighing 20 pounds repeatedly and up to 50 to 80 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to climb stairs to access work space.
- Abilty to work at heights.
- Requires individual to bend, stoop, and stretch repeatedly.
- Ability to work under varying weather conditions, often extreme in nature.
- Ability to ski or snowboard carrying equipment such as gates, poles, etc.
- Job may require working weekends, holidays and overtime during peak demand times.
- Non-smoking environment.
Safety & Wellness
All team members must be on constant alert for any unsafe conditions and work behaviors. This will involve, but not be limited to, periodic inspections of work and public areas. Follow up notification will be done to correct the condition or practice at the earliest possible opportunity.
This job description is to be considered a general outline of the duties and responsibilities of this position and is subject to changes and revisions by WSI management at any time. Responsibilities are listed as guidelines only and the job is not necessarily limited to these specifications.
How to Apply: Please apply online at skiwhitefish.com/jobs.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
To apply for this job please visit skiwhitefish.com.