Ski & Snowboard Instructor
The Snowbird Mountain School is looking for committed professionals who want to be a part of our team. We have limited openings for highly certified and experienced individuals who are willing to share what they know, and teach ages 3 to 93! We have a progressive and competitive pay system that recognizes both your credentials and your contributions. If you want to experience a great mountain, great snow, and be encouraged to share and grow, join our progressive learning team for the 2022-23 season!
What You’ll Be Doing
Under the direction of Mountain School Management, you’ll coach adults and children in snow sports. The main job of the instructor is to insure that people in their care are SAFE, have FUN, and LEARN according to their desires.
Position Functions / Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and maintain personal fitness level.
- Attend all required training sessions. Attend all staff meetings. Fulfill personal attendance schedule.
- Maintain safe, functional personal equipment, professional personal appearance (including uniform), be punctual and prepared for daily weather conditions.
- Provide appropriate levels of internal and external service such as meeting and greeting guests, helping set up work areas as needed. Be punctual for work assignments. Provide clients feedback via methods provided by Snowbird Mountain School.
- Teach in accordance with current Snowbird and PSIA/AASI teaching and sport philosophies.
- Complete all scheduling and pay-related paperwork, forms for incidents/accidents, and client follow up in a timely and professional manner. Observe all company policies and procedures as presented. Represent the company in a professional manner.
- Travel: This position may require occasional travel to other resorts.
- Must have the ability to interact at any time with guests and other employees in a pleasant manner and maintain good working relationships with peers, managers, and all departments at Snowbird.
Education & Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- 6 months to 1 year of job-specific work experience with demonstrated competence.
- Courses or workshops in personal skiing or riding, interpersonal communication. Work experience with teaching, coaching, camp counselor, or social work a plus.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to ski or snowboard.
- PSIA-AASI Certification
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret various teaching and technical manuals for the sport of choice. The position also requires that the teacher maintain riding/skiing ability at a level that keeps current with technique and teaching changes, and have the ability to demonstrate these techniques accurately. Must have the ability to understand snow and mountain conditions and an understanding of snowboard/ski equipment maintenance.
- This position requires a self-motivated individual who can prioritize effectively. Instructor must fill out daily work assignment sheets, class lists, incident/accident reports, summary/report cards for clients, and track personal business; the bulk of which is digital.
- Regularly scheduled work shifts; may require being on-call. Schedules include working weekends, holidays, and some evenings.
- Must be prepared to communicate with managers digitally; use of email and internet required to manage position.
- Must be prepared to stay overnight if necessary on occasional road closures.
- May experience unusual stress from continual work with public, winter conditions, snow night requirements and commuting to/from Snowbird.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must demonstrate ability to bend, kneel, handle, reach, grasp and perform repetitive motions.
- Work is outdoors and requires constant exposure to cold and other extreme weather conditions.
- Work is subject to frequent interruptions making continuity and accuracy difficult, frequent exposure to noise.
- Must maintain physical fitness such that they are not at risk of injury due to fitness level and nature of the work required.
- Ability to ski or ride single black diamond terrain in all but the most extreme conditions is important. Specific vision abilities required by this position include the ability to adjust and focus to undulating terrain, changing snow surface conditions and varying outdoor lighting/visibility conditions.
- May be required to assist in various emergency situations that may occur on the mountain.
- Requires all movements commonly associated with skiing including, but not limited to, rapid twisting, jumping and flexing and extending motions and jarring impulses to legs and body associated with irregular snow and ice surfaces. Involves the risk of falling while skiing/riding at low to higher speeds on hard to soft snow surfaces on flat to steep slopes.
- Requires carrying skis/snowboard in arms or over shoulder up snow-covered slopes.
- Requires negotiating flat areas by pushing with poles or “skating” for snowboarders.
- Requires walking in ski/snowboard boots on irregular and slippery surfaces.
- May require frequent bending at waist while wearing skis/board to pick small children up from the ground, or kneeling to adjust equipment.
- May require lifting while twisting to assist children onto chairlift.
- May involve using ski poles and/or arms to pull children along flat areas.
- May require “breaking trail” with skis through deep snow necessitating lifting, stepping, and shuffling motions with legs.
- Other/Additional: The instructor may be required to spend long periods (2-7 hours) outside without breaks. This requires a higher level of physical fitness.
All job opportunities at Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort require the ability to comply with our Professional Appearance, Drug & Alcohol, and Employee Conduct Policies.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
You can apply via our webpage at www.snowbird.com/jobs
Application Deadline: Open until September 30, 2022
To apply for this job please visit www.snowbird.com.