PSIA-AASI and Women of Winter Launch Scholarship Program to Drive Inclusivity
LAKEWOOD, Colo. (Sept 29, 2021) – The Professional Ski Instructors of America and American Association of Snowboard Instructors (PSIA-AASI) and Women of Winter are hosting instructor training and certification events for Black, Indigenous, Women of Color that will encourage and support Women of Color to pursue opportunities to teach skiing or snowboarding.
“This scholarship program provides education, training, and gear to help scholarship participants learn the skills and obtain a certification that will help them teach the next generation of skiers and riders,” said PSIA-AASI Chief Executive Officer Nicholas Herrin. “We want everyone to feel welcome on the slopes. As an education association, we’re excited to provide scholarships and instructor training events to support BIPOC women.”
“By actively working to diversify snowsports, we are saying to everyone – ‘You belong here, you are welcome here, this is your community,’” said Women of Winter founder Chris Walch.
Each training event will help participants learn how to teach skiing or snowboarding and then hold a PSIA-AASI Level I certification exam. If participants meet PSIA-AASI’s Level I teaching standards, they’ll have their Level I certification at the end of the event.
A PSIA-AASI Level I certification means that someone possesses an understanding of basic skiing/riding skills, teaching skills, and professional knowledge so they can help others learn and improve.
Who is Eligible
- Women who are members of the Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) community.
- Individuals interested in working as a ski or snowboard instructor.
- Individuals who demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Individuals who want to get their ski or snowboard instructor certification from PSIA-AASI.
- Individuals who can ski or snowboard down beginner and intermediate terrain.
Event Dates and Locations
- February 1 – 4, 2022: Hyland Hills Ski Area, Bloomington, Minnesota (Alpine Level I)
- February 7 – 10, 2022: Windham Mountain, Windham, New York (Alpine Level I)
- February 7 – 10, 2022: Eldora Mountain, Nederland, Colorado (Snowboard Level I)
- March 5 – 8, 2022: Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Montana (Alpine Level I)
- March 5 – 8, 2022: Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Montana (Snowboard Level I)
What Scholarship Recipients Will Receive
All scholarship recipients will receive the following:
- Costs covered to participate in the PSIA-AASI Level I training course and ski or snowboard exam.
- PSIA-AASI membership dues for the 2021 – 22 season good through June 2022 (only applicable if you are not a current PSIA-AASI member).
- Lift tickets for all days of the Level I training course and exam.
- Ski or snowboard gear from PSIA-AASI Official Suppliers including: skis or snowboard and bindings from Rossignol, helmet and goggles from Giro, baselayers from Terramar, gloves from Hestra, and backpacks from The North Face.
How to Apply
- Visit the scholarship page.
- Submit an application by, or before, 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021.
- Questions? Email
Learn more on the PSIA-AASI and Women of Winter scholarship page.
You can follow PSIA-AASI and Women of Winter on Facebook @thesnowpros and @womenofwinterbzn or Instagram @thesnowpros and @womenofwinter.
About Women of Winter
Women of Winter is a grassroots organization founded in Big Sky, Montana, in December 2018 by Chris Walch and several other badass women ski instructors in their locker room. Women of Winter’s mission is to inspire and empower women and girls to get outside, to be courageous and to boldly embrace and pursue their dreams by carving their own paths in the mountains and in life.
The Professional Ski Instructors of America and the American Association of Snowboard Instructors (PSIA-AASI) is a nonprofit education association – and close-knit community – of more than 32,000 snowsports professionals dedicated to creating life-changing experiences for others through snowsports instruction. PSIA-AASI members give people the gift of freedom, health, and the ability to enjoy sports that will reward them for life. Members of PSIA-AASI are busy creating the future of skiing and snowboarding – the association is there to help make that job easier, providing the platform and support to ensure their success.
For more information about PSIA-AASI or Women of Winter, or interviews with Nicholas Herrin or Chris Walch, contact Katrina Brinkerhoff at or 720.963.4825.